As a Man Thinketh
by James Allen
The book in one sentence
It all starts with your thoughts.
My personal opinion
Do you let live “happen” to you or do you take responsibility? Life will not always be sunshine and rainbows. But if you are willing to take responsibility, willing to take action, willing to follow your purpose, then you will live a much more satisfied and fulfilled life.
That said, taking responsibility starts with your own thoughts. Your thoughts are the foundation: “Men imagine that thought can be kept secret, but it cannot; it rapidly crystallizes into habit, and habit solidifies into circumstances.”
It is amazing to read what James Allen (1864-1912) already figured out when he published As a Man Thinketh in 1903. On 40 pages you can find a perfect guidance on how to take responsibility for and control of your life.
To whom I would recommend this book
A classic of the genre of motivational and self-helping books. If you are interesting in these topics take a look at As a Man Thinketh.
What I learned from this book
- “A man’s mind may be likened to a garden, which may be intelligently cultivated or allowed to run wild; but whether cultivated or neglected, it must, and will, bring forth. If no useful seeds are put into it, then an abundance of useless weed-seeds will fall therein, and will continue to produce their kind.”
- You are the master of your thoughts and emotions.
- Thoughts lead to habits. Habits lead to circumstances.
- Business before pleasure. Or as James Allen framed it: “A man cannot directly choose his circumstances, but he can choose his thoughts, and so indirectly, yet surely, shape his circumstances.”
- “Patiently learn to find the good in all.”
- Find you purpose. Make your purpose the center of your thoughts.
- “Strength can only be developed by effort and practice.”
- “He who would accomplish little must sacrifice little; he who would achieve much must sacrifice much; he who would attain highly must sacrifice greatly.”
- “In all human affairs there are efforts, and there are results and the strength of the effort is the measure of the result.”
- “The strong, calm man is always loved and revered. He is like a shade-giving tree in a thirsty land, or a sheltering rock in a storm.”
Want to read this book?
Check it out on Amazon.com – As a Man Thinketh by James Allen
Thanks to the publisher for printing such a great book!
Mockingbird Classics / Create Space